| What is a Business Improvement Area?
- Business Improvement Area, or BIA, is an association of business people and landowners who have joined together to promote their mutual interests.
- A BIA is established through a by-law passed by the municipal council at the request of the local business community.
- A BIA covers a specific geographic area.
- In Perth, this area is the downtown core and includes approximately 150 members.
| How is the BIA funded?
- The BIA is financed by a special levy on municipal taxes.
- Every property in the designated area is automatically included in the membership and contributes to the BIA's budget.
- An individual levy is based on the overall property assessment of the building and is sent to the property owner who can download it to business tenants according to the terms of their lease.
- The levy is collected by the municipality from landowners, but is administered by the BIA to implement its program of activities.
- The BIA receives an annual grant from the Town of Perth to cover a portion of its operating costs. Extra funds are raised through sponsorships to support festivals and special events.
- An annual budget is presented to members at the BIA Annual General Meeting.
| What is the role of the BIA?
- Beautification is a primary focus of the Perth BIA.
- Ongoing projects include: landscaping, tree planting, hanging baskets, flower barrels, Christmas lights, and signage.
- The downtown business district is a unique and vibrant area which the BIA promotes and markets to tourists, residents and other businesses.
- The BIA advertises Perth as a town proud of its heritage, showcasing beautiful architecture and serene parks.
- We offer unique stores and restaurants and we have a vibrant artistic community showcasing music performances and various stage performances throughout the year.
- The Downtown Heritage Perth BIA promotes tourism in the downtown core by organizing and promoting special events such as the Kick Off to Summer VIP Shopping Event, the Kick Off to Summer Dance, the Stewart Park Festival, the Light Up the Night Dance and the Festival of Good Cheer VIP shopping event and the Festival of Lights.
| How can I contact the BIA?
| Kari Clarke is the Downtown Heritage Perth BIA Coordinator.
- The Perth BIA has an office located at 80 Gore Street East in the Town Hall.
- Office hours are Monday to Friday 8:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- The mailing address is 80 Gore Street East, Perth, Ontario, K7H 1H9.
- The telephone number is 613-267-3311 ext. 2251 or 613-264-1190. You can also send an e-mail to email@example.com.